Sonja started out as an abstract painter, creating large organic and minimalist works which were inspired by her surroundings where she grew up in Switzerland.
A continued interest in the natural world, and a passion to garden led to painting floral subjects and in recent years to botanical art. She enjoys honing the intense observation skills the discipline requires and combined with an inherent love for detail and colour, she creates timeless works of beauty.
Having lived and worked in Wales during the past 20 years, she draws from the never ending inspiration that this beautiful part of the world offers.
As an associate member of the Society of Botanical Artists UK, Sonja regularly exhibits work at their annual show in Westminster Hall, London.
She works in watercolour and graphite, in an exquisitely fine and traditional style that is both intricate and botanically accurate. Working from life in natural light only, and after making detailed preparatory sketches and drawings, she paints her unique compositions on Fabriano watercolour paper. Each painting can take many weeks to complete, as she likes to show the various stages of growth of the plant, which can mean returning to the study at different times of the year.
- Gestaltungsschule Material und Form, Luzern Switzerland 1991 - 1994
- Society of Botanical Artists, London UK 2010 - 2012 - Diploma with Distinction in Botanical Art with Special award of Excellence
- Associate Member of Society of Botanical Artists, London
- Aargauische Jahresausstellung im Kunsthaus Aarau Switzerland 1994
- Annual exhibitions of Society of Botanical Artists at Westminster Hall, London in 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Diverse Manners Arts Group 'Chiaroscuro' exhibition at Pontrhydyrun Baptist Church, Cwmbran UK, 2013
- Greenhill Cottage Gallery Southwick Wiltshire, November 2014
- CardiffMADE, Cardiff, Spring and Winter exhibitions in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Diverse Manners Arts Group 'Beneath the Surface' exhibition at Riverfront Gallery Newport Wales, April 2015
- Barnabas Arts House Newport UK, April 2015
- The Albany Gallery Cardiff UK, Summer Exhibition, June 2015
- Oriel Ffwrwm, Caerleon Wales, exhibition at the Snug, November 2015
- Craft Renaissance Gallery Kemeys Commander near Usk UK, Christmas exhibition, 2016
- Fourteen Locks Canal Centre Gallery, Rogerstone Newport UK, January 2017
- Charlfred Fine Art Exhibition, St. John's Wood High Street, London, October 2017
- Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre, Llantarnam Wales UK, February 2018